Monday, December 31, 2007

Names in a series

Anyone of a certain age knows the standard sequence for naming the four Beatles: John, Paul, George, and Ringo.

Is the sequence of names on this T-shirt a joke on that standard sequence? Or is it evidence of the young designers' distance in time from all things Beatle?

The "John & Paul & Ringo & George" shirt, which makes a brief appearance in the film Helvetica, is the work of the graphic design company Experimental Jetset.

Related posts
Helvetica
I remember Sgt. Pepper

comments: 5

Elaine Fine said...

I think that the arrangement is typographical myself.

John &
Paul &
George &
Ringo.

has the ampersand following George sticking out in a way that is rather unbalanced.

thalkowski said...

Elaine has a good point, the arrangement could be visual.

As to the name sequence, I recall it as simply:
'John, Paul, George & Ringo'

-- that is, only one ampersand.

Michael Leddy said...

Yes, Elaine's suggestion makes sense. I didn't think of symmetry as a possible reason for the sequence. No wonder I'm not a graphic designer. : )

rp said...

...

thanks for the link back to your
'i remember' post.....

i missed it the first time,
and now i have a whole new way
to remember 2007!!!

i just ordered the joe brainard book too!

happy new year
rob preuss
nyc

...

Michael Leddy said...

Rob, I hope you enjoy reading Joe Brainard!