Saturday, November 18, 2017

From the Saturday Stumper

A clever clue from the Newsday Saturday Stumper, 23 Across: “With 29 Down, sight below some Lincoln Memorials.” The answers are three and four letters long. No spoilers; the answers are in the comments.

Today’s puzzle is by “Anna Stiga,” Stanley Newman, the puzzle’s editor. Anna Stiga, or Stan Again, is the pseudonym Newman uses for easier Saturday Stumpers of his making. Finishing a Saturday Stumper, even if it’s an easier one, is cause for minor self-congratulation.

comments: 4

Michael Leddy said...

ONE CENT.

Sean said...

This reminded me of a favorite crossword clue (if I recall correctly):

Clue: "Stick in the 'fridge."

Answer: "Butter"

I think it's "'fridge" that does it; if it were "refrigerator" it seems a little easier to render 'stick' as a noun.

Michael Leddy said...

That’s a clever clue. I agree — the colloquial “’fridge” makes “stick” read like a colloquial verb.

Slywy said...

I would have gotten the butter one, although at first "fridge" made me think "margarine." The "Lincoln Memorials" (plural) is a big clue on the other.